Installing PlPerl

From: Renê Salomão <rene(at)ibiz(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Installing PlPerl
Date: 2003-05-21 16:26:35
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Hi list...

I am trying to install PLPERL in Postgresql in order to use
regular expression to eliminate any undesired character in any given
name to be inserted in the database... I believe that using plperl is
less time consuming than doing the same approach using plpgsql
(correct if I am wrong please)...

However I was faced with the following error:

$pgsql > createlang plperl template1

ERROR: Load of file /usr/local/postgresql-7.3.2/lib/plperl.so failed:
libperl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

createlang: language installation failed

Could somebody gimme a hand!!!!

My machine:

Athlon 1.3Mhz 512Mb
Mdk 9
Postgresql 7.3.2
pg_config --configure
'--prefix=/usr/local/postgresql-7.3.2'
'--with-perl'
'--with-tcl'
'--with-pgport=5433'
'CC=gcc'
'CFLAGS=-O2 -fpic -march=athlon-mcpu=athlon'

Following is my timing consume function (remember I'Perl's newbie)
to generate a name capitalized without any punctuation/number... Any
suggestion/comment to improve function, it will be welcome...

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION XP_FORMATA_NOME (VARCHAR) RETURNS
VARCHAR AS '
my $string = @_;

RETURN $string;
'