Re: GetValue(), floats, and locales

From: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GetValue(), floats, and locales
Date: 2003-05-07 16:40:25
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 12:19:02PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> The server should always ship floats in "standard" representation.
> AFAIK the only way to use localized numeric representations is to
> write to_char() and to_number() calls (or use the money datatype).
> If you can show us a case where plain float display does the other,
> it's a bug.

I personally can't show you anything except a bug report from my user,
but I'll encourage him to post it here. He complains that libpqxx can't
read the fraction part of a floating-point number, which boils down to a
sscanf(GetValue(c,x,y), "%f", &f) always returning f as an integral
value.

Of course it's also possible that there's a bug in his display code or
that I'm missing something very, very important. Time to add some FP
test cases...

Jeroen