pg_namespace -> pg_schema?

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_namespace -> pg_schema?
Date: 2003-04-25 21:39:56
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-hackers

I know pg_namespace has been in release for one rev, but I was
wondering if for consistency sake there was any interest or desire or
plans to change the system catalog to pg_schema.

CREATE SCHEMA [schema_name];

SET search_path = foo,pubic;

SELECT * FROM pg_namespace;

SELECT * FROM information_schema.schemata;

The four naming schemes seem a bit disjointed. I know schemata is
spec mandated, but the others aren't frozen by anything as far as I
can tell. If 7.3.3 is going to be around for a while, it might be
nice to setup transitional warning and 1:1 views that allow:

CREATE SCHEMA [schema_name];

SET schema_path = foo,public;

SELECT * FROM pg_schema;

to work. Just some thoughts after trying to explain the different
naming practices to someone and being unable to give a good
justification for namespaceo != schema != search_path. Given the
feature hasn't been around that long (only 8mo), figured it might be
worth considering now vs. in 5 years when it becomes apparent that
there not semantically connected even though they all revolve around
the same concept of schemas. -sc

--
Sean Chittenden