One more question regarding dblink

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: One more question regarding dblink
Date: 2003-04-16 13:13:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I know I should have clubbed in last post but did not notice.

1. Why is that dblink allows only one persistent connection? It should allow
more than one persistent connections to same or different databases,
searchable by name. Of course we do not expect number of remote connection to
be huge. So a simple structure would suffice.

2. To create a persistent connection, one has to call dblink_connect
explicitly. Oracle allows a database link connection to be part of database
schema. Hence when a database comes up it brings the database link up as
well.

Is there an equivalent of .profile/.logout per database/per schema/per table
in postgresql? That should be an ideal place to put a database link
initiation/termination.

Should be a nifty addtion. I don't know how practical that sounds to core
developers.

Shridhar