Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Network Administrator <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com>
Cc: gearond(at)cvc(dot)net, Guy Fraser <guy(at)incentre(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-04-15 19:37:58
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 15:18, Network Administrator wrote:
> Or you can use a run-time Linux CD (or boot floppies) and use the "dd"
> program in Linux to image your drive. I built an imaging solution with a
> modified Slackware 8.0 run-time CD (disk 2) this way. Its biased for Dell
> (and all they're RAID stuff) but if your hardware is not too proprietary
> you can pretty much do things right with the stock CD or newer boot
> floppies...

Ghost can reimage to a drive with a different size and geometry. It then
touches up the partition tables, but leaves your bootloader in the MBR
intact. I haven't been able to do that with dd as yet; for identical
geometries dd works well. I don't have ghost 2003; 2002 couldn't resize
ext2/3 partitions as yet. 2002 can resize NTFS and FAT, however.

I have used Ghost more than once for hard drive upgrades; both Linux and
Win2k, desktop and server.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio