Re: [PERFORM] OSS database needed for testing

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Jeffrey D(dot) Brower" <jeff(at)Green-Visor(dot)US>, <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] OSS database needed for testing
Date: 2003-04-04 16:09:22
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Jeff, Mlw,

> Absolutely. We could just use one large state or several small ones and
> let folks download the whole thing if they wanted. Using that technique
> you could control the size of the test quite closely and still make
> something potentially quite valuable as a contribution beyond the bench.

Hold on a second. The FCC database is still a better choice because it is
more complex with a carefully defined schema. The Tiger database would be
good for doing tests of type 1 and 3, but not for tests of types 2 and 4.

It would certainly be interesting to use the Tiger database as the basis for
an additional type of test:

6) Very Large Data Set: querying, then updating, 300+ selected rows from a
2,000,000 + row table.

... but I still see the FCC database as our best candidate for the battery of
tests 1-5.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions