Bug #931: bugs "create user" "alter user"

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #931: bugs "create user" "alter user"
Date: 2003-04-03 09:16:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

techi (snieznik(at)interia(dot)pl) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
bugs "create user" "alter user"

Long Description

I think i have found a bug . I am using PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on a
platform WindowsXP under cygwin. And the bug looks like :

As a superuser i make a new user called "Paul" with a command :

CREATE USER Paul ;

and that's ok , when i change user , and i am as Paul trying to
create a database or user.

(FIRST METHOD)
CREATE USER Michael ; or CREATE DATABASE school ;
The output is for both commands : PERMISSION DENIED
and that's ok.

BUT when I as a superuser create a new user called "Paul" with
command
(SECOND METHOD)
CREATE USER Paul WITH NOCREATEDB NOCREATEUSER ;
The output is CREATE USER .
and here is a bug .
When I am logged to psql as a new user techi and I am trying
to create a database or create user ---- and unfortunatelly it is working .
Paul is allowed to create a new user acount and a new
database but he couldn't do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a similar bug , when I create user by the first
method( i am logged to psql as superuser), and after
creating a new user "Robert" I change attributes of a new user account
typing command
ALTER USER Robert WITH CREATEUSER ;
The output is ok .
But something goes wrong , the user Rober is also allowed to
create a database!!!!!!!!!!! he shouldn't do it !!!!!!!

that's all i wanted to tell you .

take care

best regards

techi