Re: PostgreSQL and SOAP, version 7.4/8.0

From: "Jason M(dot) Felice" <jfelice(at)cronosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and SOAP, version 7.4/8.0
Date: 2003-03-28 18:52:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 01:36:43PM -0500, cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com wrote:
> Of course, CORBA has actually been quite formally standardized, suffers
> from many fairly interoperable implementations, and is rather a lot less
> bloated than any of the XML-based schemes. It might be worth trying,
> too...

The ability to use the HTTP transport has it's advantages with web services--
You can throw something together with a few lines of PHP, you don't have to
worry about how to activate objects, I've never been able to figure out how
to handle transport-layer security and authentication with CORBA (of course,
this was all fairly new stuff when I was working with it), all this stuff
comes for free with the HTTP transport.

I like CORBA, though, and I'd probably find a CORBA module useful, but it
doesn't solve all the same problems.

Hrm, I wonder if the overhead of XML-RPC wouldn't be too bad for the new
PostgreSQL protocol... it probably would, but it would be entirely useful.
You can make XML-RPC calls from mozilla javascript, so you could do some
pretty sweet tweaking to keep your addresses in a pgsql database.

As an "additional" protocol which postmaster can listen to it would rule.
I'm making a habit of putting all the business logic into stored procedures,
and this would basically publish the business logic in a very useful way.

-Jason