Upgrading: So now you tell me!!?!?

From: Hacksaw <hacksaw(at)hacksaw(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgrading: So now you tell me!!?!?
Date: 2003-03-27 18:17:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

I had an older installation of postgresql, 7.1.3. I got down the packages for
7.3.2. I looked at a few of the files in the directories where the packages
were kept, and seeing no particular warnings, I ran rpm -Uvh postgresql*,
which ran without a hitch, until I restarted the postmaster. Then it informed
me that I should have dumped the damned database before I upgraded the
binaries.

This is like seeing the "Bridge Out" sign at the bottom of the river.

Why didn't the preinstall scripts dump the database? Why doesn't the FAQ or
the README in the download directory mention the required procedure?

If there is going to be a conflict that might require having the old binaries
around, why do the new ones replace the old ones?
--
In the creative leap, history waits outside.
http://www.hacksaw.org -- http://www.privatecircus.com -- KB1FVD