Re: 32/64-bit transaction IDs?

From: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 32/64-bit transaction IDs?
Date: 2003-03-22 00:26:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday March 21 2003 2:51, you wrote:
> Ed Loehr <ed(at)LoehrTech(dot)com> writes:
> > A 64-bit serial ID number would suffice. I could spend a little time
> > on that. Any starter hints on files/functions/structure of such an
> > addition? Something akin to GetTransactionId()?
>
> You'd have to capture the WAL "recptr" returned to
> RecordTransactionCommit by XLogInsert. What you do with it afterwards,
> I have no idea.

Well, I'm trying to capture a 64-bit psuedo-transaction ID, just like the
WAL record number, but to do it within a C trigger so I can queue it into
another table and have all-or-none semantics. Am I correct in assuming the
XLogInsert() call is made after the transaction is guaranteed to completed?
If so, wouldn't this be beyond the triggered function's reach?

Ed