Re: Faster NUMERIC implementation

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Faster NUMERIC implementation
Date: 2003-03-20 12:27:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 10:51:32PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I've been amusing myself the last several evenings by working on a
> reimplementation of the NUMERIC datatype, along the lines of previous
> discussion (use base-10000 digits instead of base-10 so that the number
> of iterations of the inner loops decreases by a factor of about 4).

Tom, I do like it since I really believe it will be faster.

But I wonder if we could arrange things so the Numeric stuff wents out
of the backend. As you surely noticed I created a pgtypes lib to make
our special types available to the outside world. So far Numeric is the
only one, but we are working on date (partly finished) and timestamp. I
think it shouldn't be too difficult to make the backend call the
functions inside the dynamic library instead of keeping it inside. That
way we would have to code these functions only once and no double work
is required.

Of course the lib should then move out of interfaces, but ecpg could
still call it. Any comments?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes