Re: postgresql meltdown on PlanetMath.org

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql meltdown on PlanetMath.org
Date: 2003-03-17 19:47:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 02:26:00PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> [ thinks...] Perhaps we could back-port the FSM changes into 7.3 ...

For what it's worth, I think that'd be a terrible precedent. Perhaps
making a patch file akin to what the Postgres-R folks do, for people
who really want it. But there is just no way it's a bug fix, and one
of the things I _really really_ like about Postgres is the way
"stable" means stable. Introducing such a new feature to 7.3.x now
smacks to me of the direction the Linux kernal has gone, where major
new funcitonality gets "merged"[1] in dot-releases of the so-called
stable version.

[1] This is the meaning of "merge" also used in Toronto on the 401 at
rush hour. 8 lanes of traffic jam and growing.

--
----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street