Re: WITHOUT OIDS

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Bartley" <abartley(at)evolvosystems(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WITHOUT OIDS
Date: 2003-02-26 20:01:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 4:59 pm, Andrew Bartley wrote:

> The Function slows down during the day considerably. I suspect it is due
> the constant creation and dropping of temp tables. If I vacuum full
> pg_attribute and pg_class it fixes the problem. But unfortunately
> vacuuming these table every run is not practical as it takes so much time.

Try regular vacuum - that should mark unused space in those tables as
reusable so the table size should stabilize instead of growing.

> create temp table test as select * from test2

If you are always creating the same tables then could you might (if there
aren't locking issues) be able to set up empty copies of the tables and do
something like:

truncate table scratch_test;
insert into scratch_test select * from test2;

But the bigger question is what is it that you do that is creating all these
temp tables so often? Perhaps there is a completely different better
alternative.

Cheers,
Steve