Design Q.:logic in app or db?

From: george young <gry(at)ll(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Design Q.:logic in app or db?
Date: 2003-02-26 15:32:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have general design question about Postgres usage: How does one decide
how much, and what parts of logic should go in DB rules, triggers,
functions, constraints etc, versus what should go in the application?

I see postings here from people who obviously have a lot of domain
logic in the DB side. I currently have almost none. I plan to set up
a bunch of RI constraints to keep things clean and consistant, but what
about logic that implements frequent domain operations?

Brief sketch of my project: 2 developers, 4k lines of python(gtk, pygres),
2 main GUI user apps and a few read-only scripts for web display,
50 concurrent users(all local), DB performance important but not currently
a problem.

The main thing not done yet is to facilitate ad-hoc queries
(via odbc excel etc.) from db-naive users: maybe restructuring the
db to make it simpler, maybe views and functions... The data is
somewhat complex in structure.

-- George
--
I cannot think why the whole bed of the ocean is
not one solid mass of oysters, so prolific they seem. Ah,