Re: Return type of triger functions from OPAQUE to TRIGGER in 7.3

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Return type of triger functions from OPAQUE to TRIGGER in 7.3
Date: 2003-02-26 17:08:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

Roberto,

> No, that was not what I was suggesting. I was suggesting (based on my
> assumption that 'create function ... returns opaque' would convert the
> return type to trigger), that its behaviour be made consistent with
> 'create or replace function' and throw an error if the type is opaque.

I can't see any way to do that without making it very difficult to upgrade to
7.3.

> For our next release, our plan was to have both 7.2 and 7.3
> compatibility. For the release after that, 7.2 compatibility would
> probably be dumped in favor of 7.3, where we could make use of 7.3-specific
> features. We wanted it to be a gradual path.

Where does OpenACS do its object creation? Just at setup/install time, or
through the life of the program? If the former, I'd suggest having two
seperate database install scripts ... one for 7.2.and one for 7.3.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions