Re: Return type of triger functions from OPAQUE to TRIGGER in 7.3

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Return type of triger functions from OPAQUE to TRIGGER in 7.3
Date: 2003-02-26 00:42:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

Roberto,

> We found out a few days ago that in PG 7.3 the return type for trigger
> functions was redefined from OPAQUE to TRIGGER. What's the rationale
> behind this? Is this for standards compliance (forgive my ignorance about
> the standard's details)? Were there other gains to be obtained from this
> move?

Yes. In < 7.3, OPAQUE actually referred to 3 different types of non-parsable
return values. Differntiating the different types should be an improvement
in both performance and error prevention.

> So right now we are stuck on either changing the return type of every
> trigger for TRIGGER (which means no 7.2 compatibility) or stay stuck in
> 7.2-land.

Seems to me that this could be done to the whole OpenACS package with a Perl
or Sed script.

--
Josh Berkus
josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com