Re: psql and readline

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Patrick Welche <prlw1(at)newn(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql and readline
Date: 2003-02-18 23:55:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 12:03:44AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Ross J. Reedstrom writes:
>
> > Yes, BSD systems that install libedit directly in /usr/include (or into
> > readline), like Patrick's, don't need it, but mine do. Is there some
> > reason we _shouldn't_ support this configuration?
>
> I don't like adding code to support every configuration that someone
> dreamed up but no one actually needs. Readline installs the header files
> into <readline/readline.h> and if someone thinks they can change that they
> deserve to pay the price. The configure script is already slow enough
> without this.

Hmm, isn't this exactly what configure is for? To find out where this
particular system installs all the bits and pieces? Note that even without
the test for editline/readline.h, the existing configure looks in two
placesi for readline functionality, so doesn't match your comment,
above. As for 'someone changing that' paying the price, I think it's
reasonable for an incomplete compatability library to install into a
different location: if it claims to be readline/readline.h, it better
support the entire API, in my book.

Regardless of all of the above, I'm willing to let this part go. Note that
I can no longer easily test libedit functionality in that case, however.
I leave it up to Bruce (or whomever applies the patch)

Ross