Re: location of the configuration files

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-17 19:03:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 12:16:44AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Nor will I buy an argument that only a few developers have need for test
> installations. Ordinary users will want to do that anytime they are
> doing preliminary tests on a new PG version before migrating their
> production database to it. To the extent that you make manual selection
> of a nonstandard datadir location more difficult and error-prone, you
> are hurting them too.

Not only that. For safety's sake, you may need to run multiple
postmasters on one machine (so that database user X can't DoS
database user Y, for instance). And making that sort of
production-grade work more difficult and error-prone would also be
bad.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada