Re: Regression testing failure: float8...

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression testing failure: float8...
Date: 2003-02-17 12:42:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> > Actually, now that I think about it, since BSD hasn't changed it's
> > handling of FPU errors in over 12 months now (no longer sends
> > SIGFPE on FPU errors), and it used to pass less than a month ago,
> > it looks like this is a "perk" of a recent gcc upgrade to 3.2.2.
>
> I'd expect it to be a libc issue, not a compiler nor kernel thing.
> What you've got is that strtod() is now returning ERANGE for an
> underflowed input value, whereas before it did not. It's hard to
> believe that this would depend on which compiler you compiled
> Postgres with. (Maybe it could depend on which compiler you
> compiled libc with, though?)

Hrm, yeah. I've updated my system and I can't reproduce this. As
best as I can guess, in the last month I updated gcc and the code that
gcc produced didn't quite interact with libc (from prior version of
gcc) correctly. ::shrug:: Not really sure, but, it's not really that
important since only random() is failing. -sc

--
Sean Chittenden