Re: location of the configuration files

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, "J(dot) M(dot) Brenner" <doom(at)kzsu(dot)stanford(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-14 20:53:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think the big question is whether we want the default to install the
> > configs in a separate directory, pgsql/etc, or just allow the
> > specification of a separate location. Advantages of pgsql/etc are
> > initdb-safe, and easier backups.
>
> I don't see why we don't just let initdb install suggested config files
> into the new $PGDATA directory, same as it ever did. Then (as long as
> we don't use relative paths in the config files) people can move them
> somewhere else if they like, or not if they prefer not to. Adding more
> mechanism than that just adds complexity without buying much (except the
> possibility of initdb overwriting your old config files, which is
> exactly what I thought we wanted to avoid).
>
> > The big question is whether PGDATA is still our driving config variable,
> > and PGCONFIG/-C is just an additional option, or whether we are moving
> > in a direction where PGCONFIG/-C is going to be the driving value, and
> > data_dir is going to be read as part of that.
>
> I thought the idea was to allow both approaches. We are not moving in
> the direction of one or the other, we are giving people a choice of how
> they want to drive it.

That's where I am unsure. Is the initdb-safe and backup advantages
enough to start to migrate those out to data/? I need to hear
comments on that.

One new idea is to move the config files into data/etc. That makes it
clear which are config files, and makes backup a little easier. It
would make -C more logical because you are not moving a clear directory.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us