Re: Installing PG 7.3.1 on Solaris 8

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PGSql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing PG 7.3.1 on Solaris 8
Date: 2003-01-30 19:03:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 02:04:22PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Chris Boget" <chris(at)wild(dot)net> writes:

> > awk: syntax error near line 63
> > awk: illegal statement near line 63

> Looks like you have an old crufty awk. One solution is to install GNU
> awk (gawk). However, I seem to recall that Solaris comes with more than
> one awk already; poke around and see if you find anything named awk or
> nawk. If you do, try re-running configure after putting the other awk
> earlier in your PATH (or just hack the AWK variable in
> src/Makefile.global).

Do the latter. Use nawk on Solaris, which is reasonably non-crufty.
The standard awk, for reasons that I'm sure Sun could tell us if they
could be bothered, is some _terribly_ broken version.

If you fool with your $PATH enough, you'll get the right awk anyway
(I did this accidentally one time, and it took quite a bit of time to
figure out why things suddenly stopped working); I just can't
remember exactly what $PATH you need, and nawk always works.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8