Re: URGENT: referential integrity problem

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: pginfo <pginfo(at)t1(dot)unisoftbg(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: URGENT: referential integrity problem
Date: 2003-01-30 16:18:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, pginfo wrote:

> Stephan Szabo wrote:

> > > As I checked the problem exists also in the dump from 7.2.3 ( before it was on
> > > 7.2.1).I have this file backedup.
> > > By importing in 7.3.1 the pg do not reported errors.
> > > Only for example:
> > > If I import data in oracle after importin it start integrity check and only if no
> > > errors exeists it
> > > commits data. And I was very supprised that pg do not check this thinks.
> >
> > It's a speed of load issue. I think 7.3's dumps use alter table and will
> > check. Probably it'll eventually become optional.
>
> Hmm, as default option pg_dump on 7.3.1 do not check for reference integrity.I do not
> know about any option for this case.
> Which is the option?

If you make a new constraint in 7.3, the dump from a 7.3 server should use
ALTER TABLE to build the constraint. That will check the data. If you've
imported a constraint from an earlier version it doesn't have the new
constraint info and will still just dump them as triggers. You can make
the constraint information for those triggers (I think someone made a
script to do that) but I'm not 100% sure what's involved.