Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Art Fore <afore(at)sonic(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0
Date: 2003-01-27 22:29:51
Lists: pgsql-novice
Art,

> Well, I am no fan of MS SQL, but as I mentioned, it was pretty easy to
> install a few years ago, about 4 I think. Maybe Red Hat does makes it
> easier, but SuSE sure did not. Normaly Suse does pretty good with these
> type programs. Also, my database needs are pretty simple, parts
> database, things like that.

Write the SuSE engineers (support(at)suse(dot)com).  I've sent them e-mails about
problems with the SuSE Postgres RPM before, but haven't received a response.
Pester them enough and they may fix it.

> A type of flow-chart where the myriad of config files belong and a basid
> description would really help, but I have never seen that. MySQL was
> easier to install and configure, but it does not have stored views as
> Postgresql.

I know it doesn't help you now, but that's one thing we're planning on putting
in our book (which won't be out until 2004, sorry!).   Snippets from the book
will show up in Techdocs, though.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions