Re: Running PostgreSQL on Windows

From: Christoph Dalitz <christoph(dot)dalitz(at)hs-niederrhein(dot)de>
To: karthikeyan(dot)balasubramanian(at)aspiresys(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Running PostgreSQL on Windows
Date: 2003-01-09 18:40:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 21:01:07 +0530
From: "karthikeyan.balasubramanian" <karthikeyan(dot)balasubramanian(at)aspiresys(dot)com>

> I want to work with PostgreSQL on Win98 (that's my development
> environment). I know that through Cygwin its possible
> but I don't that. I want my Windows PHP program to work comfortably with
> PostgreSQL much like it worked with Mysql.
> Why is PostgreSQL not like this but need unix like environment to make it run.

Note that the Cygwin environment is only necessary to run the PostgreSQL *server*
on Win32.

On the client side there are (at least) two native Win32 options:
- use the Win32 ODBC driver (available as binary from the PG main sites);
if you are already accessing MySQL via ODBC that would allow a seamless
transition
- compile the Postgres client library libpq from the sources with VisualC++
and use libpq for accessing Postgres.
AFAIK there is currently no binary distribution of libpq.dll available
and other compilers than VisualC++ are not supported (not even Borland
or MingW32).

As to the server, I believe there is a native Win32 planned for version 7.4.
But that is usually not such an issue, because the database server has nothing
to do with the client devellopment platform.

> It is so easy to setup MySQL, just download it and install the ODBC
> program and type mysql from the command prompt in the mysql directory.

Actually PostgreSQL is much more powerful than MySQL. This has the drawback
that it requires more administrative knowledge and some configuration effort.

Hope this helps,

Christoph Dalitz