ident inconsistency

From: ron(dot)peterson(at)yellowbank(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ident inconsistency
Date: 2003-01-02 18:28:42
Lists: pgsql-general

ident authentication appears to work inconsistently between debian
stable (7.2.1) and the 7.2.3 postgresql I installed from source on a Red
Hat 7.3 machine.

Debian doesn't require I run an ident server. My pg_hba.conf contains:

local all ident sameuser

On the installation I compiled myself, that doesn't work. Instead I
must run an ident server, and do:

host all 127.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 ident sameuser

(Additionally, the RH7.3 pidentd RPM returns an encrypted response by
default. That needs to be turned off by editing /etc/pidentd.conf)

I know that at one time debian provided a 'peer' authentication
mechanism. I thought that had been absorbed in the main distribution,
and renamed 'ident' to prevent confusion.

Personally, I prefer debian's operation. The only reason I'd use ident
authentication would be to authenticate on the local machine - in which
case running an ident server and connecting via localhost should be
unneccessary, no?

In any case, I think it would be nice if the config files worked in a
consistent fashion - either by adopting a single unified approach, or by
re-introducing the 'peer' keyword.

--
Ron Peterson -o)
87 Taylor Street /\\