Re: Decrease in performance with 7.3/optimizing a query

From: Harry <h3(at)x-maru(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Decrease in performance with 7.3/optimizing a query
Date: 2002-12-23 08:01:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 01:51:28 -0500

> I'm thinking the same. Unfortunately, you cannot alter PG's locale
> settings short of an initdb and reload :-( --- the interesting values
> are frozen by initdb based on what it sees in its environment.

I just did a test where I did an initdb after setting LANG=C (previously en_US)
and my query times went from 19 seconds to 3. Woo hoo!

Before I go ahead and do this on my production box, are there any ramifications
I should be aware of? I noticed that though my sort was no longer case
insensitive, I was able to "order by lower(blah)" without a performance hit.
Any other gotchas like this?

Thanks,
-Harry