a problem in authority

From: postgresql <postgresql(at)db(dot)pku(dot)edu(dot)cn>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: a problem in authority
Date: 2002-12-18 09:20:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, all
I have installed the Postgresql 7.3 . But I think something is wrong with authority.
I have made the following operations:
1. I enter the psql and run 'alter user postgres with password 'postgres''
2. I change the pg_hba.conf and set the auth_type from 'trust' to 'password'
3. Then I can not connect to server.
I have test connect from local or connect from host, but it just return 'authority fail for user postgres'.
I can connect to postgresql 7.23 successfully after above steps;
Great thanks for any message.
Josh