Bug #838: SSL problems in 7.3

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #838: SSL problems in 7.3
Date: 2002-12-05 21:08:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Nathan Mueller (nate(at)cs(dot)wisc(dot)edu) reports a bug with a severity of 1

Short Description
SSL problems in 7.3

Long Description
In 7.3 if a client exists without disconnecting from the database the backend dumps core. This wouldn't be so bad except that everyone else is kicked off. Additionally, pre-7.3 clients can't connect to a 7.3 database with SSL. Instead of failing right away they just hang for a minute or two and then report "psql: could not establish SSL connection: No SSL error reported". When people hit Ctrl-C during the hang the database crashes.

Here's the server output from trying to connect with a pre-7.3 client.

FATAL: failed to initialize SSL connection: wrong version number

Here's the output from a crash:

FATAL: SSL error: ssl handshake failure
<10935 identical lines deleted>
FATAL: SSL error: ssl handshake failure
LOG: server process (pid 9308) was terminated by signal 11
LOG: terminating any other active server processes

Both 7.3 (server) and 7.2.2 (client) are linked against the same build of openssl 0.9.6e. I'm pretty sure this isn't an SSL bug since I have lots of other apps linked agaist the same build that have never done this.

I wasn't sure if/how to post the core file. If you want it let me know how.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report