Re: Welcome!

From: David Alban <extasia(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Welcome!
Date: 2002-12-04 20:06:52
Lists: sfpug

Greetings!

At 2002/12/04/11:44 -0800 Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> Welcome to the SF-PUG mailing list! We have about 6 new subscribers. I'm
> Josh, an SF database consultant. Please introduce yourselves!

[cheating, I reuse my recent introduction on the oakland perl mongers
list, slightly updated, but still heavily perl oriented]

David Alban
unix sysadmin, tools guy
Been doing perl for four years, but not as primary job responsibility.
I use perl mostly for unix tools: general and sysadmin. Did then
in #!/bin/sh before discovering perl.
Very comfortable with perl, but don't know web/cgi or object oriented.
Love complex data structures in perl (but again, don't know oo).
Latest perl project: Log::Monkey
<http://www.gerasimov.net/~alban/jac/Log::Monkey.html>
Live on the peninsula
Attend baylisa, sf-perl, kabuki-west; looking to attend oakland perl
mongers and this group
Sing in two different choral groups (sang at San Quentin on Halloween)
Co-founder of sig-beer-west (see .sig below)
Currently reading: _Across_Realtime_ by Vernor Vinge, an awesome sci-fi
author
Current mp3 playing: Dead Can Dance's "The Host of Seraphim"
Movie I just saw: Solaris # it was intense!
Movie I'd like to see soon: the new ST Next Generation flick
Movie I wish would freakin' hurry up and get released: Matrix 2
Movie question: Why did Bab 5 never have any movie theater releases?
Machines at home:
. intel p133 running suse linux (seven years old and going strong! :-)
[knock on wood]
. thinkpad running suse linux
. indy running irix 6.2
. ultra 30 running solaris 9
. G3 tower running mac os 9.2.1
Unemployed for a while (see .sig below)
Wonder whether we should be adding the concept of checks-and-balances
to the endangered species list.

As far as postgresql, I would add to the above, I'm a tiny step up
from database ignorance. I was going to learn mysql, but an sf-perl
colleague convinced me that postgresql was a *real* rdbms, and didn't
suffer from the tendency toward data corruption mysql does. Damn.
Wish I hadn't spent the $$$ for the mysql book. :-)

So I'll probably lurk while the gurus speak in a language I don't grok.
And maybe some clues will happen my way.

Are newbie questions (passed of course through the rtfm filter)
appropriate on the list?

> Our next meeting is going to be Wednesday, December 11th at 7pm in North
> Berkeley. Dror will be hosting it at Zapatec.

Damn. I scheduled a mini-sig-beer-east-bay tonight before I knew about
this group. If you let out early, come to Jupiter and look for a guy
with long curly (tied back) dirty blond hair, a minimalist beard, and
wearing a navy t-shirt with thin horizontal white stripes about two
inches apart.

David
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.
***