Re: Two features left

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jean-Luc Lachance <jllachan(at)nsd(dot)ca>
Cc: Jon Swinth <jswinth(at)atomicpc(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two features left
Date: 2002-11-27 20:25:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Jean-Luc Lachance wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> I assume one will be able to ABORT the current transaction without
> aborting the higher transaction and ABORT ALL to abort all if needed.

Right. I hadn't planned on ABORT ALL, but it could be done to abort the
entire transaction. Is there any standard on that?

> What syntax will be available to the upper transaction to detect a lower
> ABORT?
> While there be something ? la Java ( try catch)?

My initial implementation will be simple:

BEGIN;
SELECT ...
BEGIN;
UPDATE ...
ABORT;
DELETE ...
COMMIT;

and later savepoints which allow you to abort back to a saved spot in your
transaction.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us