Re: streaming result sets: progress

From: Haris Peco <snpe(at)snpe(dot)co(dot)yu>
To: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: streaming result sets: progress
Date: 2002-11-20 14:25:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello Barry,
What think You about next idea
I have study C interface and it is easy solve my problem without cursor.
JDBC load complete qyery result in method QueryExecutor.execute
I think that method QueryExecutor.execute work like now except for query
(select) - for select this method should do something like PQExec method
in C (this is compatible with ResultSet in JDBC specification)
When we call ResultSet.next (or like method) we should be initialize
fetchSize rows and load rows with method like C method PQgetvalue -
consecutive call ResultSet.next should scroll row window (length for window is fetchSize)
and if need call new fetchSize rows with method like PQgetvalue
'OutOfmemory' error for large table is not because Postgresql do so than
JDBC QueryExecutor.execute method load all rows.
If this work in C without cursor then no reason that work in Java
I have tried more queries with large table in C and it work fine without cursors.

regards
Haris Peco