Re: 1600 Column limit..

From: Tommi Maekitalo <t(dot)maekitalo(at)epgmbh(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 1600 Column limit..
Date: 2002-11-15 07:07:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Maybe a view can help you. You can design your database as needed and let your
applications see what they want to see. You can write some triggers so that
applications can update through the view.

A view with 1600 columns is ugly too, but better than a row with 1600 columns.
Ok - you will have trouble do 1600 selfjoins in one view :-(

Another solution is to offer your applications some stored procedures, which
collects the data.

In a 1600 column table the database will do a linear search for data in a row.

Tommi