Re: command-line history (readline) fails

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: john-paul delaney <jp(at)justatest(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: command-line history (readline) fails
Date: 2002-10-28 22:07:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 09:54:32PM +0100, john-paul delaney wrote:
> Thanks Larry... fwiw this is my output.
>

> I didn't install any readline-devel - just the readline4.3 tarball from gnu.org
> I just ran configure, make, make install from default. It doesn't
> look like postgresql picked up that it had been installed.

Well, you'd better install the RPM for readline (which you probably
already have), the readline-devel package and probably (at least on
Mandrake it is needed) the termcap-devel package.

This frees you from some administrative tasks. If you can, avoid
installing packages from non-RPM sources when appropiate RPMs exist.
Your distribution already does the work for you (and this is the whole
point in using a distribution IMHO).

Al principio era UNIX, y UNIX habló y dijo: "Hello world\n".
No dijo "Hello New Jersey\n", ni "Hello USA\n".