Re: LDAP authentication

From: Tommi Maekitalo <t(dot)maekitalo(at)epgmbh(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LDAP authentication
Date: 2002-10-24 10:06:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I just tried out. Pam works fine with pam_ldap on linux. But as a told you
need to create databaseusers. I just configured postgresql with --with-pam
and created (or copied one and modified) a /etc/pam.d/postgresql. Her is it:

#%PAM-1.0
auth required pam_nologin.so
auth sufficient pam_ldap.so
auth required pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass #set_secrpc
account sufficient pam_ldap.so
account required pam_unix.so
password required pam_pwcheck.so nullok
password required pam_ldap.so use_first_pass use_authok
password required pam_unix.so nullok use_first_pass use_authtok

Maybe you can create users with a cronjob, which queries ldap on a daily base
about new (and retired) users. Postgresql do need entries in pg_shadow. I
think it would be hard to hack authentication so that it does not need.

It might be fine to see a generic way to create pg_shadow on the fly like nss
does. It should be a table-function, which might query a ldap-tree.

Tommi