Re: Using oid with RServ w/ Postgresql 7.2

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using oid with RServ w/ Postgresql 7.2
Date: 2002-10-22 15:11:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 09:44:46AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Will LaShell <will(at)lashell(dot)net> writes:
> > Does anyone know why rserve doesn't support/use multi-field keys for the
> > replication id?
>
> Well, the one in contrib/ is only a prototype. The version that
> PostgreSQL Inc sells commercially might have support for multi-field
> keys by now. You'd have to ask them though ...

It doesn't. The best answer really is to use a sequence and a key
field just for this. (In fact, the rserv key field _must_ be unique,
or the whole thing breaks horribly. Don't ask me how I know ;-)

I understand that dbmirror uses the primary key on each table, but it
can't handle multi-column primary keys either, so it's no help.

For what it's worth, the additional overhead on our tables hasn't
been enough for me to regret the implementation of rserv. We use the
commercial version, by the way. The prototype version isn't terribly
fast. Maybe dbmirror is a better free choice, but I don't know, as I
haven't tested it.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada