Fwd: int type problem in 7.3

From: Mario Weilguni <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Fwd: int type problem in 7.3
Date: 2002-10-02 07:00:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ok, I checked this again. Up until 7.2, it was possible to compare an empty string to a number, and it worked::
e.g.: select * from mytable where int4id=''
worked fine, but delivered no result. This is exactly what Oracle did here,
a comparison like this does not work:

SQL> select * from re_eintraege where id='foobar';
select * from re_eintraege where id='foobar'
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01722: invalid number

But oracle accepts this one:
SQL> select * from re_eintraege where id='';

no rows selected

because oracle treats the empty string as NULL and effectivly checks:
select * from re_eintraege where id is null;

I think 7.3 is doing right here and I've to fix all queries (*sigh*), but oracle compatibilty is lost here.

The bad news for me is, rewriting the queries won't help here, because I'll use indexing when I rewrite my queries to:
select 1 from mytable where id::text=''

Regards,
Mario Weilguni