Re: [GENERAL] arrays

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Mike Sosteric <mikes(at)athabascau(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] arrays
Date: 2002-09-30 17:18:48
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Mike,

> I have a very good sense of the strengths of relational databases. But
> they are also limited when it comes to object orientaed data (like XML
> records). I though arrays would be a way to simply the complexity you get
> when you try and map objects to relations.

In my experience, most XML records are, in fact, simple tree structures that
are actually easy to represent in SQL. But I don't know about yours.

Certainly the translation of XML --> SQL Tree Structure is no more complex
than XML --> Array, that I can see.

> Is Cache open source?

No. It's a proprietary, and probably very expensive, database. There are no
open source OODBs that I know of, partly because of the current lack of
international standards for OODBs.

> are the XML databases that are evolved and sophisticated enough to use in
> production environments.

I don't know. The last time I evaluated XML databases was a year ago, when
there was nothing production-quality in existence. But I don't know what
the situation is now.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions