Re: Open Source Database article

From: Christoph Dalitz <christoph(dot)dalitz(at)hs-niederrhein(dot)de>
To: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Open Source Database article
Date: 2002-09-17 08:22:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 03:53:50 -0400
pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org wrote:

> Here is a nice article comparing open-source and commercial databases:
>
> http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/09/14/1253246&tid=11

Although I am myself very fond of PosgreSQL, I am not sure whether
the superficial advocacy in this article is really helpful.

I would rather prefer honest comments both on the strengths and flaws
of PostgreSQL. Eg. PostgreSQl is particularly weak on security aspects
(every user has CreateTable rights, no schema support, no role privileges),
which make it inadequate for some production environments.
This is a point that I have never seen mentioned in any review article.
Maybe I am the only one who bothers...

Christoph Dalitz