Re: Schemas not available for pl/pgsql %TYPE....

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schemas not available for pl/pgsql %TYPE....
Date: 2002-09-05 20:07:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> > ::sigh:: Is it me or does it look like all
> > of pl/pgsql is schema un-aware (ie, all of the declarations). -sc
>
> Yeah. The group of routines parse_word, parse_dblword, etc that are
> called by the lexer certainly all need work. There are some
> definitional issues to think about, too --- plpgsql presently relies
> on the number of names to give it some idea of what to look for, and
> those rules are probably all toast now. Please come up with a
> sketch of what you think the behavior should be before you start
> hacking code.

Not a problem there. I walked around the code for a bit, made a few
hacks to see how things are working, and I can tell you strait up that
if you'd like this by 7.3, it won't be happening from me. <:~) I'm
stretched kinda thin as is and don't think I'll be able to get this
working correctly with time to test by release. I can send you the
patch I've got for the lexer, but that was chump. What I was going to
do could be totally wrong, but...

* Change the lexer to recognize schema.table.column%TYPE as a token
and was going to create parse_tripwordtype() that'd look up the
table and column in the appropriate schema and would return the
appropriate type.

If I were lazy, I'd just unshift the schema off of the token and
return what comes back from parse_dblwordtype(), but that doesn't
strike me as correct for something that's performance sensitive.
Beyond doing that, I'm at a loss. :-/ Thoughts? -sc

--
Sean Chittenden