Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded
Date: 2002-09-04 18:45:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Please review the HISTORY file.
>
> PostgreSQL now support ALTER TABLE ... DROP COLUMN functionality.
>
> s/support/supports/
>
> Functions can now return sets, with multiple rows
> and multiple columns. You specify these functions in
> the SELECT FROM clause, similar to a table or view.
>
> I don't like this description: it's always been possible for functions
> to return sets, it was just hard to use the feature. Try to explain
> what we really added. Maybe:
>
> Functions returning sets (multiple rows) and/or tuples (multiple
> columns) are now much easier to use than before. You can call
> such a function in the SELECT FROM clause, treating its output
> like a table. Such a function can be declared to return RECORD,
> with the actual output column set varying from one query to the
> next. Also, plpgsql functions can now return sets.

Well, this is a summary section. That seems like too much detail. I
don't remember every seeing a function returning sets before. Can you
give an example? I can add the word "'easily' return sets" but I don't
think it is that easy.

> Both multibyte and locale are now enabled by default.
>
> s/enabled by default/always enabled/ --- AFAIK it is impossible to
> disable them, so "by default" is pretty misleading.

Done.

> By default, functions can now take up to 32 parameters, and
> identifiers can be up to 64 bytes long.
>
> s/64/63/

Oops, got it.

> Add pg_locks table to show locks (Neil)
>
> s/table/view/

Yep.

> EXPLAIN now outputs as a query (Tom)
>
> This doesn't seem to belong under the Performance heading.

I had it there because EXPLAIN is a performance tool, though I wondered
about that logic too. Move to utilities.

> Display sort keys in EXPLAIN (Tom)
>
> Likewise.

Moved.

> Restrict comments to the current database
>
> Should probably say "comments on databases".

Changed to:

Restrict comment to the current database

> Increase maximum number of function parameters to 32 (Bruce) momjian
>
> This line seems to need editing?

Fixed.

> Modify a few error messages for consistency (Bruce) momjian
>
> This too.

Fixed.

> Cleanups in array internal handling (Tom)
>
> Joe should get credit on that one.

Done.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us