Re: tweaking MemSet() performance

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tweaking MemSet() performance
Date: 2002-08-30 12:01:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 07:35:13PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 01:27:41AM -0400, Neil Conway wrote:
> > >
> > > Also, if anyone would like to contribute the results of doing the
> > > benchmark on their particular system, that might provide some useful
> > > additional data points.
> >
> > Ok, here's a run on a Sun E450, Solaris 7. I presume your "total"
> > time label corresponds to my "real" time. That's what I'm including,
> > anyway.
>

> Now, these are unusual results. In the 64 case, MemSet is dramatically
> slower, and it only starts to win around 512, and seems to speed up
> after that.
>
> These are strange results. The idea of MemSet was to prevent the

Yes, I was rather surprised, too. In fact, the first couple of runs
I thought I must have made a mistake and compiled with (for instance)
MemSet() instead of memset(). But I triple-checked, and I hadn't.

FWIW, here's an example of what I used to call the compiler:

gcc -O2 -DBUFFER_SIZE=1024 -Ipostgresql-7.2.1/src/include/ memset.c

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8