Re: Proposed GUC Variable

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposed GUC Variable
Date: 2002-08-27 21:14:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > But we should have some default to print some of the query, because
> > right now we print none of it. I am not saying it is perfect, but it is
> > better than what we have, and is a reasonable default.
> On an error, you may not be able to reproduce it. Why not print the
> whole query to the log?
>
> I don't see a reason for truncating it at 80 chars.
>
> IMHO, of course.

Because every typo query, every syntax error of a user in psql would
appear in your logs. That seems excessive. Already the ERROR line
appears in the logs. Do we want to see their bad query too?

My concern is that long queries could easily bulk up the logs to the
point where the actual important log messages would be lost in the fog.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us