Re: Open 7.3 items

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Ron Snyder <snyder(at)roguewave(dot)com>, Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 items
Date: 2002-08-14 18:51:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 14 August 2002 02:38 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > The nice thing about it is you can have any combination of people with
> > installation-wide access (create them as joeblow) and people with
> > one-database access (create them as joeblow(at)joesdatabase). A special
> > case for only the postgres user is much less flexible.

> > Also, if you do it this way then the substitution only has to be done in
> > one place: you can pass down the correct form to the backend, which'd
> > otherwise have to repeat the test to see which username is found.

> Yes, certainly a big win. What we _could_ do is to allow connections to
> template1 be unsuffixed by the dbname, but that makes everyone
> connecting to template1 have problems, and just seemed too weird.

> Ideas?

Appending '@template1' to unadorned usernames, and giving inherited rights
across the installation to users with template1 rights? Then you have the
unadorned 'lowen' becomes 'lowen(at)template1' -- but lowen(at)pari wouldn't have
access to template1, right? Or am I misunderstanding the feature?
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio