Re: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items )

From: nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org (Neil Conway)
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items )
Date: 2002-07-31 14:55:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 02:11:06AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
> > * libpqxx is not integrated into build process nor docs. It should
> > be integrated or reversed out before beta.
>
> I've requestsed that Jeorgen(sp?) move this over to GBorg ... its
> something that can, and should be, built seperately from the base
> distribution, along with at least a dozen other things we have bloating
> the distribution now :( but at least that one hasn't been integrated yet

Mentioning that on -hackers would have been nice -- I've spent a while
this week hacking autoconf / Makefiles to integrate libpqxx...

The problem I have with removing libpqxx is that libpq++ is a far
inferior C++ interface. If we leave libpq++ as the only C++ interface
distributed with PostgreSQL, there will be a tendancy for people
using PostgreSQL & C++ to use the C++ support included with the
distribution. Similarly, the Perl interface included with
PostgreSQL is widely regarded as inferior to DBD::Pg.

If we're going to start removing interfaces, I'd vote for the removal of
perl5 & libpq++ as well as libpqxx. We can add a section to the
documentation listing the available language interfaces (for languages
like Python, where several interfaces exist, this would probably be a
good idea anyway).

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)rogers(dot)com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC