Large Dump Files

From: Mike Baker <bakerlmike(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Large Dump Files
Date: 2002-07-18 17:36:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi.

I am running postgresql 7.1 on Red Hat Linux, kernel
build 2.4.2-2. I am in the process of updating
postresql to the latest version.

When I dump my database using all the compressions
tricks in:
http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/backup.html#BACKUP-DUMP-LARGE

my dump file is still over 2gigs and thus the dump
fails. We have a large amount of BLOB data in the
database.

I am wondering:

will cat filename* | psql dbname work if my dump file
has large binary objects in it?

If not, does anyone have experience getting Red Hat to
deal with large files. I can find no documentation
that deals with large files for the kernel build have.

Thanks.

Mike Baker