Our archive searching stinks

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Webmaster <webmaster(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Our archive searching stinks
Date: 2002-06-21 00:40:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK, I have finally decided that our archive searching stinks. I have
emails in my mailbox that don't appear in the archives.

Our main site, http://archives.postgresql.org/ doesn't archive the
'patches' list. (It isn't listed on the main site, and I can't find
postings via searching.) Also, why does it open a separate window for
each email. That doesn't make any sense to me.

My backup is Google,
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql,
but that seems to be missing emails too. Our email/news link regulary
drops messages and therefore Google can't see them.

It isn't one thing, but a general lack of quality in this area. Heck,
we had no usable archives for _months_. Is this really only important
to me?

Oh, I see FTS is back working at http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/. I
like the output format, but all three are give me different results.
However, fts is invisible because I can't find a link to it from
anywhere on our web pages.

I guess I am asking:

Can our main archive start doing the patches list?
Can it stop opening a new window for every email?
Can we find out why the email/news gateway drops messages?
Can we link to the fts site?

Search for 'dbmirror' on all three and you will see the differences.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us