SQL Challenge: Skip Weekends

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL Challenge: Skip Weekends
Date: 2002-06-21 00:13:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

Folks,

Hey, I need to write a date calculation function that calculates the date
after a number of *workdays* from a specific date. I pretty much have the
"skip holidays" part nailed down, but I don't have a really good way to skip
all weekends in the caluclation. Here's the ideas I've come up with:

Idea #1: Use a reference table
1. Using a script, generate a table of all weekends from 2000 to 2050.
2. Increase the interval by the number of weekends that fall in the relevant
period.

Idea #2: Some sort of calculation using 5/7 of the interval, adjusted
according to the day of the week of our starting date. My head hurts trying
to figure this one out.

--
-Josh Berkus