Re: read this and puke

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: read this and puke
Date: 2002-06-15 20:25:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> RDBMSs are like VCRs in that it is better to use a system a lot of
> others use, because then you can get stuff (like DBAs) easily. It is
> a major PITA to hire a PostgreSQL DBA these days. Everyone and his
> brother knows about MySQL (well, or claims he does!), but competent
> PostgreSQL people are thin on the ground. And that's a real cost for
> a company considering using PostgreSQL.
>
> Hmm. Maybe there's room for some sort of certification programme?

This is already being worked on by PgSQL, Inc ... we have been working
with several colleges/universities towards running courses in the fall
revolving around PgSQL, and are developing a textbook for said course ...

As for 'hiring a PgSQL DBA', our clients have been bringing us in to
provide onsite training to their current DBAs in order to be prepared to
convert from Oracle->PgSQL ... most feel it is more cost-effective to
bring their current staff up to speed then to bring in someone to handle
just that aspect ...