Re: Project scheduling issues (was Re: Per tuple overhead,

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Project scheduling issues (was Re: Per tuple overhead,
Date: 2002-06-11 13:06:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Monday 10 June 2002 04:11 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think our develop mode/beta mode pattern has done a great deal to
> > contribute to the stability of our releases. If we go over to the same
> > approach that everyone else uses, you can bet your last dollar that our
> > releases will be no better than everyone else's.
>
> I'll have to agree here -- but I also must remind people that our 'dot zero'
> releases are typically solid, but our 'dot one' releases have not been so
> solid. So I wouldn't be too confident in our existing model.

If that's a pattern, then we should discourage people from
using odd dot-releases.

My opinion? With each release we ship improvements and new
functionality people have long waited for. Think about
vacuum, toast, referential integrity. People need those
things and have great confidence in our releases. The
willingness to upgrade their production systems to dot zero
releases is the biggest compliment users can make.

Everything that endangers that quality is bad(tm). Our
develop/beta mode pattern keeps people from diving into the
next bigger thing, distracting them from the current beta or
release candidate. I don't think that would do us a really
good job.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #