Re: Per tuple overhead, cmin, cmax, OID

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Per tuple overhead, cmin, cmax, OID
Date: 2002-06-07 16:00:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > Other then personal slow downs, there is no reason for anything to "slow
> > > down" until beta itself starts ...
> >
> > I assume Tom doesn't want a huge patch applied the day before beta, and
>
> No offence to Tom, but who cares whether Tom wants a huge patch or not?

Well, he does clean up lots of breakage, so I was willing to settle on a
compromise of 2 weeks. However, if other feel we should just go
full-bore until beta starts, I am fine with that.

I will say that I was disapointed by previous release delays and will be
more vocal about moving things forward than I have in the past.

> > I can understand that, but patch problems usually appear within two
> > weeks of application, so I think we only have to worry about those last
> > two weeks. Of course, another option is to continue in full development
> > until the end of August, then start beta in September as soon as the
> > code is stable.
>
> That kinda was the plan ... code will be frozen around the 1st of
> September, with a release packaged then that will be label'd beta1 ...
> regardless of how stable it is ... beta is "we're not taking any more
> changes except fixes, so pound on this and let us know what needs to be
> fixed" ... there shouldn't be any 'lead up' to beta, the lead up is the
> development period itself ... *shrug*

Agreed.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us